2. Native American Art Project: The Salmon People
Traditional Foods: Salmon
This Native American Art project pack includes 2 lessons to learn about the importance of Salmon to Indigenous North Americans!
2 Options recommended for 1st-4th grades:
1. Engage in a traditional Northwest Coast legend
- Resource links and videos
- Listen to a read-aloud of this traditional Haida story or use a guided reading copy of the story.
- Directions with photos to create a salmon or fish of their choice using an air dry modeling clay.
2. Learn about the life cycle of the salmon using a wonderful picture book.
- Q & A post-reading the book The Sockeye Mother (book not included). This book has a heavy science emphasis.
- Directions to create a salmon or fish of their choice using a modeling clay.
**Recommended for 5-8th grade
3. Formline- Lesson introduces "Formline" art, a unique and recognizable art form from the Northwest Coast of USA.
- Simple and elegant Formline examples + shape handout + drawing directions
- A link to an in-depth study of "Formaline" art.
- A rubric for each lesson
- I can statements K-8
- National Art Standards