6. Native American Art Project: Thirteen Moons on a Turtles Back
Art Science Literature Integration!
This art lesson was inspired by the picture book Thirteen Moons on a Turtles Back by Joseph Bruchac and Jonathan London. Use the book to include Native American authored literature in your art program. However, the lesson is complete without it too! Students will learn about Batik, an art form created on cloth in Indonesia using hot wax and dye on cloth. Explain to your students they will use wax crayons, paper and watercolor paints! This makes this art project easy to make and accessible to most classrooms.
BONUS- #1- a turtle color sheet is provided for early finishers!
BONUS- #2- NASA make a moon phase calendar
- Focus activity questions after reading
- Video links to 3 videos to explore the art of batik
- Step-by-step art making directions with photos
- Vocabulary terms
- Additional book recommendation by Bruchac for older students and adults
- NASA link to create a lunar calculator
- Excellent museum video link to teach lunar phases and how they are created
- I can statements
- Teacher rubric
- Project completion checklist
- National Core Art Standards checklist
Total Pages 17