Native American Artist: Oscar Howe Art Lesson
Oscar Howe Dakota Artist- Mazuha Hokshina 1915-1983
Dakota Artist Oscar Howe is credited with changing the way the world viewed Native American artists! As a young man he was trained in the traditional painting style that was encouraged by his teachers. Explore how the art of the abstract expressionists influenced his style. Students will learn about his leap into abstraction and learn how he challenged the art world to think about Native American Art in a new way!
There are 2 lessons to explore art making.
1. Create a figure using the techniques Oscar Howe used and paint with a limited palette of color. Includes example, and step by step directions.
2. Create an animal in motion inspired by one of his horse paintings. Includes a sample and step by step directions.
- Art History handout about Oscar Howe
- Links to museums and videos to learn more about his life and work
- Directions with images to guide art making
- Pre-planning practice sheet for sketching ideas
- I can statement checklist
- 2 Art Smart student self assessments
- List of National Core Art Standards